As I understand the layout, it doesn't look that much different from
standard displays you see from print things on the web as well. So it
looks like basic strikeout and square brackets would work.

Stuart, how did this approach lead to poorly formed XHTML? There's
nothing inherent about the TEI that should, surely? In a P4 SGML
document I used a syntax that anticipated choice in this context to a
certain extent and even with the rudimentary pre XSLT tools available to
me at the time had no trouble getting valid XHTML out of it. Or is just
a bug still needing to be squashed in your sheets?

-dan

--
Daniel Paul O'Donnell
Associate Professor of English

Chair and CEO, Text Encoding Initiative (http://www.tei-c.org/)
Co-Chair, Digital Initiatives Advisory Board, Medieval Academy of America
President-elect (English), Society for Digital Humanities/Société pour l'étude des médias interactifs (http://sdh-semi.org/)
Founding Director (2003-2009), Digital Medievalist Project (http://www.digitalmedievalist.org/)

Vox: +1 403 329-2377
Fax: +1 403 382-7191 (non-confidental)