Dear list,

I have read the different contributions to this thread with considerable
interest, because I am myself searching for a CMS capable of dealing with
XML and XSLT in ways useful for a scholarly editing project. I am a beginner
in TEI (and know next to nothing about XSLT) so please forgive me for any
nonsense I may unknowingly write below.

Donald's contribution about their Drupal/Fedora/Islandora/CML-Editor
solution sounds particularly interesting. Drupal's XML content module
provides a somewhat less sophisticated solution but is basically "out-of-the
box".

On the suggestion of Thanasis, I have had a look at Drupal and the XML
Content module on a localhost test installation and felt it might be useful
to report on this. Drupal has no built-in XML support and does not store
pages in XML natively, unlike Silva.

However, the XML Content module indeed looks promising. It permits the
definition of an XML content type (or several such types). Any given page of
the site can be declared to be of this type. The module allows for checking
the XML code against a schema: the level of checking can be set (several
options, well-formedness or validity, several schema types, Relax NG and
others). A schema file can be uploaded and selected. An XSL-file can be
indicated for transformation and display of the XML content.

One big advantage, from my point of view, is that this structure allows for
the original XML code to be edited online, collaboratively, by various
authenticated users, that is project collaborators. In Drupal, permissions
for changing content can be given with considerable granularity to different
user groups. Drupal keeps a version history, of course.

The main problem I see with this is that in order to display, say, a book
divided into its chapters, with one chapter per page and tree navigation
between chapters, an XML/TEI file of the entire book needs to be split up
into those parts (possibly div's). Where does the header go, then? Can every
chapter get its own TEI file with header? How does this relate to issues
like standardization and sustainability?

What are the lists opinions on all this? Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Christof Schoech
(Kassel University, Germany)