Dear All,

Some analytical elements, incl. <phr>, allow for <ptr> in their
content model, but other, e.g., <w>, do not.  Is there a particular
reason for that?

Best,

Adam P.

P.S. The background of this question is that I would like <w>ords at
one layer of annotation to make stand-off reference to potentially
smaller token-like units at a different layer, and I envisage typical
<w> content to look like this:

<w lemma="do">
 <fs> <!-- desc of this word --> </fs>
 <ptr target="tokens.xml#seg3"> <!-- will -->
 <ptr target="tokens.xml#seg4"> <!-- have -->
 <ptr target="tokens.xml#seg5"> <!-- done -->
</w>

I know I can use <seg type="word"> this way, but why use <seg> when
the more specific <w> is available?

--
Adam Przepiórkowski                   ˈadam ˌpʃɛpjurˈkɔfskʲi
http://nlp.ipipan.waw.pl/  ___  Linguistic Engineering Group