Tim,

<seg type="senseUnit"> (or "su") was my first thought as well,
although you might also look at <ab> (anonymous block):

"The ab element may be used at the encoder's discretion to mark any
component-level elements in a text for which no other more specific
appropriate markup is defined."
http://www.tei-c.org/release/doc/tei-p5-doc/en/html/ref-ab.html

That's described in chapter 16 alongside <seg> though, so you've
probably already looked at it and prefer <seg> (I think I do, too).

Dot

--
Dot Porter (MA, MSLS)          Metadata Manager