Hi everyone,
I am currently working on a language which derives its vocabulary partly
from classical Greek. My conlang has a simple past tense, and I'm
deliberating as to which Greek verb form that tense should be derived from.
A straightforward choice, I guess, would be the Greek perfect, but I was
also considering the aorist. For the verb "to stop," for instance, the stem
of my conlang's past tense would either be pepauc- if derived from the
perfect or epaus- if derived from the aorist.

I'd like to make my decision based on which tense (perfect or aorist) is
more commonly used in classical Greek literature, but I'm very new to Greek
and don't have a strong grasp over reading ancient texts yet. Is one tense
encountered more often when one reads classical literature? Are there
differences in the frequencies of these verb tenses when one compares Attic
Greek with Homeric Greek or Koine?

Thanks so much! I really appreciate it,

Adnan