> Yes, clearly it's a terrible series,
> whose millions of fans wouldn't
> know lit'rature if it smacked them across the face.
> <rolls eyes>.

Certainly good or bad writing is a matter of taste to some degree, but it's quite possible for bad books to become license to print money for the publisher.  There seems to be little or no necessary connection between artistic merit and popularity; though some popular authors are very good, past and present, while some so-called "literary" types are self-indulgent tripe.