<deinx nxtxr> skrev:
> Carsten Becker wrote:
>> Roger Mills schrieb:
>>> Has anyone ever tried to write English with Devanagari?
>>
>> ऐ दोंत नो उऍध़र ध़िस त्रन्स्क्रिप्शन ऐम यूज़िं इज़ वॅलिद, बत ऐ इमॅजिन इत उऋक्स सिमिलर तु
>> ध़ि ओफ़िशल उअन (इफ़ ध़ॅर इज़) इन इफ़ॅक्त।
>> (Ai doṅt no uĕdhhar dhhis transkripśan aim yūziṅ iz vĕlid, bat ai imĕjin
>> it uṛks similar tu dhhi ofiśal uan (if dhhĕr iz) in ifĕkt.)
>
> I was in a weird mood one day and came up with this.
>
> http://conlang.dana.nutter.net/index.php/%D8%A7%D9%8E%EF%BB%A8%EF%AE%95%EF%BB%A0%EF%BA%8E_%D8%A7%EF%BA%AE%EF%BA%8E%EF%BA%92%EF%BA%8E

How come you give a spelling for /&/ but not for other
chacked vowels?  I have a proposal for indication of
English vowels in Arabic script lying around on one
of my disks (slightly touched up for the occasion):

## Vowel spellings for Anglo-Arabic

This is an attempt to provide a full set of
spellings for English vowels in Arabic script.
I'm aware that it sort of abuses dagger 'alif and
in particular hamza, but it was heavily inspired
by Kashmiri vowel spellings which IIANM uses hamza
similarly. See
<http://www.omniglot.com/writing/kashmiri.htm>

* indicates that the mark in question may be
   omitted (unvocalized text).
Phoneme Lexical set     'Arabic' spelling
------- --------------- ---------------------------
/I/	KIT		kasra*
/E/	DRESS		hamza below*
/&/	TRAP		fat.ha*
/U/	FOOT		.damma*
/V @/	STRUT, commA	hamza above* [^1]
/Q/	LOT		dagger 'alif* [^2]
/i/	FLEECE		kasra* + yaa'
/eI/	FACE		hamza above* + yaa' [^3]
/OI/	CHOICE		dagger 'alif* + yaa'
/aI/	PRICE		fat.ha* + yaa'
/ju/	cute		yaa' + .damma* + waaw
/u/	GOOSE		.damma* + waaw
/oU/	GOAT		hamza above* + waaw [^3]
/aU/	MOUTH		fat.ha* + waaw
/I@/	NEAR, idea	kasra* + hamza [^4]
/E@/	SQUARE		fat.ha* + hamza [^4],[^5]
/U@/	CURE, cruel	.damma* + hamza [^4]
/O/	THOUGHT		alif [^2]
/A/	FATHER, START   alif + madda [^2],[^4],[^6]
/./     (hiatus)        hamza on the line (in
                         unvocalized text)

[^1]:   'Alif wa.sla may be used to distinguish
         word-initial /@/ from /V/.  Final /@/ may
         be written with a hamza on the line, even
         in unvocalized text.

[^2]:   Since LOT, FATHER and THOUGHT merge in some
         English accents (notably American) they are all
         given spellings based on 'alif.

[^3]:   FACE and GOAT are written as if they were
         /@I/ and /@U/ regardless of their
         pronunciation in the accent of the writer.

[^4]:   Of course raa' is to be written wherever
         _r_ is written in English Latiin spelling.
         In unvocalized text final /I@/ with no
         following _r_ may be written as a hamza on
         the line.

[^5]:   This spelling makes sense in view of the
         fact that historically /E@/ is derived
         from /&:r/.

[^6]:   Used with madda in all positions since that
         is  what distinguishes FATHER from THOUGHT.
         It is rather unusual that FATHER+STRUT or
         STRUT+FATHER occur in hiatus, and if they do
         Arabic aesthetics will simply have to be broken.
         STRUT+STRUT may be written with a hamza on
         the line.