> Date: Tue, 7 Jul 2009 19:18:31 -0500
> From: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: Re: YAFPT (was Re: Inspiring linguistic facts)
> To: [log in to unmask]
>

> > But other parts of France, as well as Canada, kept the distinction
> > (Canadian French even evolved another /e/ish phoneme of its own, /3/,
> > leading to three phonemes where only one exist elsewhere)
>

> I live in Canada and learned French (Manitoban, not Quebecois) rather poorly
> via Immersion here, I would be very interested if you could present a source
> for this fact (not that I doubt you, just that I would like to read more
> about it)

Oh sorry, I meant /{/. I rarely have the occasion to use X-Sampa!

Every source I know for this are in French, such as http://www.ciral.ulaval.ca/phonetique/phono/debutph.htm, but I know of one document in English about Quebec French, http://www.ling.upenn.edu/~laurel/MacKenzie_Sankoff_NWAV08.pdf, that lists /E:/ appart from /E/.

The cause of thing is that the /E/ - /E:/ distinction that existed in French and has been disappearing in most parts of France has been maintained in Canada, with /E:/ changing quality, along with the other diphthongizations of Quebec French, into /ae/. This, and every diphthongs, is strongly opposed by purists (interrestingly, it's the opposite of the English situation!) and was therefore re-monophthongizated into /{:/.

Minimal pairs include "mettre" /mEtr/ - "maître" /M{:tr/; "faites" /fEt/ - "fête" /f{:t/. These pairs are generally homophonous in France, and where they are distinct, they are distinct only by length and not quality.

Maxime

Internet explorer 8 aide à protéger la vie privée.
http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9655573