This is called a "domain-specific language", and there are zillions of
'em.  Some programming languages are eminently well suited to their
creation - Perl 6, for instance has Grammar (in the context-sensitive
sense) as a native type, with native ops for parsing.  Its essentially
what I was talking about for the configuration language for the
conlang creator.
  Or, less generally, lots of people tend to use XML-based syntax for
this, using a DTD or schema to define the particular restrictions
beyond what XML dictates.  But IMO a custom parser let's you make a
language that suits your problem better without the extra verbosity
that XML brings to the party.

--
Sent from my mobile device

Mark J. Reed <[log in to unmask]>