I have noticed that the field of linguistics is very underdeveloped with
respect to its foundation. In the other fields that I am interested in, I
seem to have a never-ending supply of books and articles to read. However,
in linguistics, I struggle to find any worthwhile books at all.

Although I disagree with a lot of his conclusions, "Women, Fire, and
Dangerous Things" is a very worthwhile book. Can any one recommend to me
some more linguistics books that have a similar focus? I am mainly
interested in the foundations of language (which is seems to be the focus of
"Women, Fire, and Dangerous Things".