On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 10:53 PM, Herman Miller<[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> I wonder if similarly there
> are phonemes that are underused in conlangs due to being unfamiliar to or
> difficult for English speakers. Uvular, pharyngeal, epiglottal sounds?
> Implosives?

No doubt.  My langs pretty much have a subset of English phonemes.
Not only do I stay the heck away from tones and clicks, but a lot of
more "mainstream" I-E sounds in the IPA are nowhere to be found in my
'langs because I can't distinguish them reliably. Nor do I have
phonemic aspiration or palatalization. I even avoid non-English phones
that I can produce reliably with some effort.  I want my languages to
be fun to create, not a chore to speak. :)

--
Mark J. Reed <[log in to unmask]>