On Wed, Jul 8, 2009 at 17:55, Henrik Theiling<[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Mark J. Reed writes:
>> So when would you use "declaration" instead of one of the other
>> options?  It seems less specific...
>
> It is used in:
>
>   (You are husband and wife).DECL
>   ~'I pronounce you husband and wife.'
>
>   (I won't run away).DECL
>   ~'I promise I won't run away.'
>
> Hmm, maybe there is a better name for it?

The "I pronounce you husband and wife" rang a bell: I've heard that
kind of thing called a "performative".

Wikipedia ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Performative_utterance ) has
some information about this; apparently, usage is not uniform, and
some call this kind of thing "declarations".

I found the list of examples at the end interesting -- also includings
things such as "This meeting is now adjourned" and even "I accept your
apology".

Cheers,
Philip
--