In Vat  Kvik there are two possible ways to express this idea,
with different connotations.

We shall never understand one another. (we just won't)
Mg knosktoft tem ka sr.

We shall never understand ourselves. (we just won't)
Mg knosktoft si ka sr.

We shall never understand one another. (because we can't)
Mg knoskti tem ka sr.

We shall never understand ourselves. (because we can't)
Mg knoskti si ka sr.

In the first two, the suffix -oft indicates that the action is real/
possible, but inaccessiblee.g., it won't happen. In the last two, -
i indicates that the action is not real/impossible. Also, since Vat
 Kvik does not mark tense, these sentences really have a meaning
closer to "We shall never understand each other/ourselves, and we
never have". Which I assume is rather close to the metaphorical
meaning of the English examples.

-Kelvin