>> Personally, I've programmed in Perl and have no coherent beef with it, but
>> then I've never really tied much emotion to my choice of proglang. I use
>> what I think is best for the task at hand and leave the NCNC wars for
>> others. :)
>
> I agree.  I've programmed in everything from assembly language through C to
> Perl and PHP.  Even did a lot of Cobol back in the day.  I do a lot in Perl
> these days because I'm most familiar with it and most of my programming now
> is throwing together a script for this or that short, immediate task.  But
> I'm not averse to any of them for the most part.

Fine, fine, I'll shut up.  It was even my idea to do so.  But to be
clear,  I've also programmed in practically every proglang out there,
and I'm happy to use the right tool for the right job.  For work, I
currently program in the three P's (Perl, PHP, Python) plus
JavaScript, a bunch of shellscripting and the occasional bit of Java;
for fun, I reach for Ruby.   I'm not a Perl zealot; I  just get tired
of seeing it (and JavaScript, for that matter) get so much undeserved
disrespect.

--
Mark J. Reed <[log in to unmask]>