Barb

Was this pre-Emtala and you sent "Michael Micropenis" packing with a referral to his pediatrician. ...Or did you "confirm"the complaint, provide a screening exam" ?and log him in!! :)

Chuck Nozicka

-----Original Message-----
From: Weintraub NP, Barbara <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Thu, Aug 27, 2009 9:08 am
Subject: Great stories

Sorry, this is too fun to resist...working in level 1 trauma center of a
busy children's hospital. I'm at triage. Dad walks up with his 10 year
old son, who look fine, though won't look me in the eye. I am preparing
myself for whatever weirdness may come, but this took even me by
surprise. "What brings you here today". No answer from kid. "So, is
there something I can help you with today?". No answer from kid. Finally
I turn to dad and ask what the problem is. Dad says, "my son's penis
isn't big enough". Silence, as I sort through all of the inappropriate
interventions we could treat this pre-adolescent with. One wonders if it
was a case of the apple and the tree...

Barb

Barbara Weintraub, RN, MSN, MPH, PNP-AC, CEN, FAEN
Director, Emergency Department
Northwest Community Hospital
Phone: 847-618-5432
Fax: 847-618-4169
email :[log in to unmask]

ANCC Nursing Magnet Designated
Check us out at:  www.nch.org

******************************

This E-Mail/telefax message and any documents accompanying this transmission may
contain information that is privileged, confidential, and/or exempt from
disclosure under applicable law and is intended solely for the addressee(s)
named above. If you are not the intended addressee/recipient, you are hereby
notified that any use of, disclosure, copying, distribution, or reliance on the
contents of this E-Mail/telefax information is strictly prohibited and may
result in legal action against you. Please reply to the sender advising of the
error in transmission and immediately delete/destroy the message and any
accompanying documents. Thank you.

For more information, send mail to [log in to unmask] with the message:
info PED-EM-L
The URL for the PED-EM-L Web Page is:
                 http://listserv.brown.edu/ped-em-l.html