From: Pediatric Emergency Medicine Discussion List [[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Doc Holiday [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Monday, August 24, 2009 1:05 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: head trauma in a 7 months baby

From: [log in to unmask]
> would you head CT him because "he is on aspirin"

--> No.

But I will CT him because he's got a significant mechanism (for his age) and no "useful" skull to protect the grey stuff and evidence that the mechanism HAS resulted in significant force-transfer and blood vessel damage (hence the haematoma).

See more than one case a year like this here WITH positive CT findings despite the ONLY clinical finding being a haematoma. Have seen positive CT even without a haematoma and nothing else either - a just-under-one-year-old (can't recall exactly), lifted by 6yr old sister onto her shoulder and "went over", diving forehead first into hardwood floor. No external lesion. Normal on exam. No loss of consciousness. Had a bleed on CT - I can't recall which bleed it was but was NOT operated on eventually (as far as I know and recall)...

Windows Live Messenger: Happy 10-Year Anniversary—get free winks and emoticons.
http://clk.atdmt.com/UKM/go/157562755/direct/01/
The URL for the PED-EM-L Web Page is:
                 http://listserv.brown.edu/ped-em-l.html

This email message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain information that is proprietary, confidential, and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure, or distribution is prohibited. If you have received this email in error please notify the sender by return email and delete the original message. Please note, the recipient should check this email and any attachments for the presence of viruses. The organization accepts no liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted by this email.