Gang,

Here's one of the more recent and better articles on the topic:

Kalfa et al.  Multicenter Assessment of Ultrasound of the Spermatic Cord in
Children With Acute Scrotum.  J Urol. 2007; 177:297-301.

Steve

-----Original Message-----
From: Pediatric Emergency Medicine Discussion List
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of JaPe
Sent: Thursday, August 13, 2009 2:33 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: manual detorsion?

Steve,
Point taken! Similar to your hospital, reviewing the spermatic cord for a
"twist" is not part of the protocol for our our US techs and radiologists.
JP
Jay Pershad
Le Bonheur

________________________________
From: Steve Socransky <[log in to unmask]>
Gang,

Interesting discussion.  I'm curious about what information is sought on
formal ultrasounds in the USA.  Is there any comment on the appearance of
the spermatic cord (along its entire path, proximal and distal) and any
evidence of a twisted appearance?  Or is the interpretation limited to
comments about the appearance of the testicle, peritesticular structures and
flow.  In my own hospital, there are no comments on the appearance of the
proximal cord and evidence of twisting.

Thanks!

Steve Socransky

message: info PED-EM-L