     Not in a clinically well child with those CSF values.  As far as acyclovir, again, these children are not well appearing and the CSF can be rather bloody.  LFTs are usually elevated in young infants with systemic herpes as well.

     Some may not start antibiotics or even admit a child greater than 28-days with this scenario and reliable parents.  SB

Scott A. Barron, MD, FAAP

Children's Emergency Center

Mercy Medical Center

Des Moines, IA  50314