On Sat, Aug 1, 2009 at 8:00 PM, <deinx nxtxr><[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> translated as "woman".  There is a pejorative affix "-ih" that could be
> using making "renihai" that could be translated as "bitch" or any of a long
> list of other sexist slurs.  Conversely the ameliorative "-iq" could be used
> to make "reniqai", best translated into English as "lady".
>
> At some point I actually considered dropping these affixes in favor of
> qualifiers but they can be very useful so I'm keeping them for now.

I wonder if a worldlang would benefit from having not just
ameliorative and pejorative affixes, but perhaps multiple ones of each
kind, denoting (or connoting?) different degrees or kinds of
approbation, affection, respect, disgust, fear, etc...   Thomas Payne
cites Mapudugun as having two different attitudinal inflections or
derivations, one "complaining" and one "disgusted".   A moderately
naturalistic artlang I worked on briefly with my brother last autumn
had inflection for a variety of speaker attitudes toward nouns; the
most interesting one not found in other conlangs or natlangs to my
knowledge was "defiance", in constrast to fear and contempt -- a
courageous attitude toward a formidable danger.

--
Jim Henry
http://www.pobox.com/~jimhenry/