On Fri, Jul 31, 2009 at 8:23 AM, Matthew Barnett <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Cheng-Zhong Su wrote:

On Fri, Jul 24, 2009 at 9:46 PM, Matthew Barnett <[log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>> wrote:

† †Cheng-Zhong Su wrote:

[snip]
† † † †I believe that sounds can be divided in to two groups. The first
† † † †is pure vowel, the second one is a consonant mixed with a vowel
† † † †anyway without vowel one can hear nothing. Above case sssshhhh,
† † † †after any s and h there should be an 'i'.

† †There isn't. The "sh" sound is a continuant; it can be sounded for a
† †long time without a vowel.

Can you prove the within the long sh, there is no muscle of your throat move?
Yes.
So you believe that any vowel is pure movement of throat and the rest movement could be called consonant? I canít agree with you, for as I know that every time when we utter any sounds from our vocal organ, it is a combined action of lung, throat lip tongue etc. together. Every muscle has to offer some effort to cause this sound. Beside, the so called Ďconsonantí could not be described by which muscle; it is a mistake that our phonology describe them by muscles. At the beginning, they are just a symbol to help us to remember some sounds, but nowadays, some bookworms using these group of symbols to discussing our pronunciations as if they are the solid truth. †

† † † †In the example of barber, the 'ar' and 'er' are in
† † † †fact vowel both of them are single vowels. Because they use two
† † † †letters to represent them so we donít know how to classify them,
† † † †it is the problem of writing system not humanís vocal organ or
† † † †hearing sense.

† †The pronunciation of "ar" and "er" depend on the dialect. On some
† †dialects they are single vowels, but in others they aren't.

Can you give me any example that "ar" can be pronounced as a-r?

Standard British English ("Received Pronunciation") is non-rhotic; Standard American English ("General American") is rhotic:

Rhotic and non-rhotic accents
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhotic_and_non-rhotic_accents
I donít trust the wikepedia very much. Some times, it may tell you the truth but other times, it depends on who edit the explanation paper.†