> From: Andreas Johansson <[log in to unmask]>
> For L1 English speakers without linguistics training, no doubt, but
> not necessarily for us L2 users.

Right, sorry, I meant to add that I was referring to people who grew up in an Anglophonic education system (and my own experience is USian, so I can't even speak for other Anglophone countries). We spend a long time in our primary education system saying things like "bit has short i and bite has long i; the final e makes the vowel long, as with hat to hate and cop to cope," all very English-centric and counterproductive when studying other languages.

-- Paul