On Thu, Aug 6, 2009 at 11:42 AM, Thomas Alexander<[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Lee <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>> It has been so ingrained in our heads ever since
>> elementary school that the best way to learn a
>> second language is use a bottom-up, details first
>> (phonemes, morphemes, words, grammar, etc.) approach
>> that we typically don't think to consider there might
>> be an equally effective different approach.
>
> I'm long past that way of thinking.  Still, I wonder
> how you could go from here to a method for creating
> another language.

An alternative is, in Gary Shannon's phrase, to "use the language into
existence" -- to start by saying or writing words and sentences of
your conlang, and analyze the phonology, morphology and syntax later
if at all.  We did that with the collaborative projects Kalusa and
TAK, started by Gary, and I've done it with a few of my sketchy
artlangs.

--
Jim Henry
http://www.pobox.com/~jimhenry/