Lee wrote:
...and/or find a newspaper or other written material and use a English-target language dictionary to learn words, phrases, and idioms as they are used in context. Within a few pages, you generally have learned enough to get by without constantly referring to the dictionary, and you'll have picked up an innate sense of the grammar automatically.

That is essentially how I tackled Dutch; it was absolutely necessary for any research on Indonesia. The upshot is, I have a good reading knowledge at least as regards linguistics, history, ethnology/anthropology and a few other academic subjects, but can't (or wouldn't dare try to) speak a word of it  :-)))