Dmitri Ivanov wrote:
> --- In [log in to unmask], "<deinx nxtxr>" <deinx.nxtxr@...>
> wrote:
>> I've had a few ideas myself for promoting languages.  How about
>>  taking a business-like approach.  Commerce and trade are what
>>  historically have motivated many people to learn new
>> languages.  How about setting up an an online store, or maybe
>> an auction site like E-Bay in Esperanto?  If the deals offered
>> are good enough not only would it bring together E-istoj, but
>> the revenue could be reinvested in the E-o movement for further
>> campaigns.  Even having a multilingual site, but offing a small
>> discount to those who order using the E-o version may provide
>> someone an incentive to at least take a look at E-o (or
>> whatever language you are trying to promote).
>
> Bribe senators and pass a Neo Patwa amendment to the
> constitution.

Now this would work.  Then NP would become a required part of every
child's school curriculum.  Teaching it to them doesn't mean they'll
use it, so the schools will have to start teaching classes in NP.

> Open a cinema company "sasXXXsek productions".

There are already plenty of places to get porn without having to
learn a conlang.  Would only work if there was some unique gimmick
associated with it.  Maybe offer free phone sex (telxfonxses) in S:S:.

> Tempt a celebrity (Obama or Shakruh Khan) to learn a conlang, and
> many others will do the same. For Obama it will be even good to
> speak Sasxsek: if anything, he can always say that people just
> got him wrong.

A celebrity may not be able to recruit speakers as such, but the
backing of a celebrity will at least get it noticed.  I've never
seen any evidence that William Shatner speaks E-o, despite his role
in "Incubus".  Celebrities though are the last people that would
need to learn an auxlang.  They are rich enough to afford translators.

> Still better, become a celebrity yourself. Winning Olympic games
> in broad jump should be sufficient.

At least here in the US, Olympic athletes tend to have very
short-lived fame.  And there's generally only one outstanding star
from each edition of the Games.