----- Original Message ----
From: Jim Henry [log in to unmask]

>>>agape = nurtiaclu [chosen-love] love based on a decision, not an emotional whim
>
>> Is it actually possible to love based on a decision?   I kinda thought that was the whole point of love, that it's an emotional impluse over

>I'm not sure that's the general sense of agape in classical Greek,

Agape was hardly ever used in Classical Greek, but it was used in the Septuagint. I suspect the translators were attracted by the similarity of the root agapa to Heb ahaba, but in any case they used it very broadly. In 2 Sam 13, for example, it's used for Amnon's feelings toward his half-sister Tamar, when he was just being a lustful pervert. It's not until the NT that agape consistently has the refined meaning.

>but
it's the sense of agape as apparently used in the New Testament and in
the Church Fathers who wrote in Koine Greek: love as a deliberate,
intentional act of the will as opposed to an involuntary or
unconscious emotion, denoted by philia or eros.  As for "the whole
point of love", I suppose the involuntary emotion you refer to is the
primary referent of English "love" in everyday usage, but the word is
also used to translate Greek "agape", i.e. love as an act of the will.
("Charity" used to be used for this sense but it's meaning shifted
and now we mostly use "love" for both senses.)

Actually the modern idea of "love" as a random, overwhelming force is fairly new. Until recent times, marriages were often/typically arranged, so you got to make the best of whoever you got (especially for women). A lot of agape required there.

Steve