MacLeod Dave wrote:

>> There have been Esperanto sites out there for years so another one won't
>> help much other than to give it slightly more presence, but basically it
>> would be redundant (of course so are many natlang sites too).  As far as
>> getting the cooperation of other sites or their owners, we're back to the
>> same problem that we've always had about selling the language.  Putting
>> myself in the shoes of a site owner, I'd say my time was better spent
>> elsewhere.  Writing in Esperanto may yield a few more hits but writing in a
>> popular natlang Spanish or French could easily yield much more, without the
>> hassle of getting pledges.
>
> I think you've misunderstood this part. The hassle of getting pledges
> would be arranged by the Esperantists. Website owners that want the
> traffic would simply devote themselves to learning and using the
> language during that time. That's something that natural languages
> just don't offer (very minor languages interested in promoting
> themselves might in theory). In theory you could get more hits from
> natural languages, but that involves a lot of promotion and networking
> on the side.

I see what you are saying but with popular natlangs, a site operator
doesn't even need pledges at all.  People just come to the site
because they like it.  The time and energy spent hassling with the
E-istoj is time the he could use to create more content in English
yielding more visitors anyway.  It's really something that just
isn't going to work unless you find someone that already has a
demonstrated interest in a planned auxlang.  Then he'll be motivated
by his interest in the language.

>> As to your idea, I'd be very willing to set up some kind of a website for
>> E-istoj, or any other conlang community for that matter, if I could
>> reasonably expect that my efforts would be sufficiently rewarded
>> financially.  After seeing ─ťangalo disappear I doubt there are many
>> prospects for keeping a site like that going.
>>

> That would be the other benefit of such an idea - the site chosen
> would be an already existing blog, and the Esperantists would simply
> begin to flood it after the site owner devotes his site to the
> language during that time.

There are already sites and Usenet groups that cater to E-istoj. I
don't see where another one is going to make much of a difference
unless it's something high-profile like a major news service like
CNN or Reuters.