Carsten Becker wrote:
> 2009/8/17 Mark J. Reed <[log in to unmask]>:
>> Around here, dfferent
>> parts of town use the same numbers across different streets, e.g.
>> 2400s where I live now, 700's where I used to live; how those are
>> allocated I have no clue.
>
> ISTR to have read in America houses are usually numbered according to
> how many feet they're into the street from a certain line. Wikipedia
> writes [1]:

Loosely speaking, this is true.  Most cities will have some point,
usually a town square or intersection of two major streets in the
center of town where the counting begins at zero.  Usually the
addresses increase by 100 each block, and the address or street name
may have "N/S/E/W" tacked on to show which direction from the center
point.  Numbered streets will correspond to the numbering so a
person living between 3rd and 4th St. will have an address in the
300-399 range.  In major urban areas the numbering in suburbs is
sometimes just an extention of the numbers, while others may have
their own numbering.  Further more you'll generally find North-South
streets will be called "Street" and East-West will be "Avenue" or
vice versa depending on the city.

This all works fairly well in cities where the streets are layed out
in a grid, but can be very tricky in places where the streets or
roads may wind in different directions.

> << In much of the United States, buildings are not numbered according
> to a simple sequence but rather according to distance from a given
> baseline. As a result, four- and five-digit addresses are common. Odd
> numbers are typically on one side of the street, evens on the other.
> In cities with a grid plan of streets, addresses often increase by 100
> for each cross street. Addresses may also correlate with a
> street-numbering system. >>
>
> The article further indicates that there is not a common numbering
> system, but sometimes even several different ones in different parts
> of cities.

That happens too.  Realize that crossing the line into another
municipality may or may not start a new numbering system.  Sometimes
it also could mean the street name changes too.