On Aug 18, 2009, at 6:07 AM, Thomas Alexander wrote:
> What I mean is this --
> In both German and English, you add an -s to the day
> of the week when talking about repeated events.
>
> e.g. Wednesdays, I go grocery shopping.
>
> I have always assumed (and thus could be wrong)
> that this habit of adding an S here goes back
> to the shared ancestor of German and English,
> and is thus -- originally, anyway -- the same
> phenominon.

Actually IIRC it is shared, but it's an adverbial marker. In English
it is also found in some adverbs like _towards_, _backwards_, etc.,
and in adverbial _nights_ as in "I can't sleep nights" == "I can't
sleep at night".

About the latter example: I perceive a difference between _nights_ in
"I can't sléép nights" and in "I work níghts". I'm not sure if the
difference is because of the verb each one occurs with, or if they are
really functionally different. The first usage isn't something I would
say (and I rarely hear it), but the second I would. Are they both
adverbs?