staving Roger Mills:

> ISTR reading that London cabbies have to go through a course that
> involves practically memorizing the London street guide/map. But at
> least the streets have names !!� No doubt GPS has simplified matters
> for them.

Ah, yes, The Knowledge. A retired Black Cab driver explained this to me
recently. They have a set of routes to learn, which at first seem quite
bizarre and arcane ("Go from A to B via X, Y and Z"). As they learn more
and more of the set routes, they start to fit together, until they are
able to work out the best route from anywhere in London to anywhere else
in London in any traffic conditions (except, apparently, south of the
River late at night). Cabbies apparently have enlarged hippocampuses as
a result of learning all this.

The Knowledge is the qualification to be a Black Cab driver. It's
possible to drive a minicab without it, but minicabs are only licenced
for pre-booked journeys. Only Black Cabs are licenced to accept hails.

Pete