On Sep 4, 2009, at 10:49 AM, Eugene Oh wrote:

> That is very strange. I use Gmail, probably it assumed some of the
> periods
> followed by two letters were URLs. Thankfully the URLS didn't replace
> anything, but rather appended themselves after the offending periods.
> Eugene

True. Oddly, when I copy the URLs and paste them into TextEdit (on my
Mac), they look just the same as in the email (e.g. http://
xn--5ea.ne); but when I paste them into Safari (my web browser), they
show as intended (with macrons). I also noticed all the URLs start
with http://xn-- ; I'm not sure what xn-- is. I suppose the other
characters are an ASCII encoding of the Unicode character with macron.

Personally, I hate when programmers assume they or their software is
smarter than users, and do things like turning all sequences of text
+period+two letters into a URL. At least using Office I can turn that
sort of thing off. I looked at Gmail and that doesn't seem to be a
config option.