On Tue, Sep 15, 2009 at 12:20 AM, Sai Emrys <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 14, 2009 at 8:47 PM, <deinx nxtxr> <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
>> It wouldn't hurt to get permission first.
>
> Unless, of course, the process of getting permission takes longer than
> the kill date of Geocities.

As long as you still have a local copy on your hard drive, the kill
date of Geocities is irrelevant. You could always put it back up
somewhere else.

On Tue, Sep 15, 2009 at 12:46 AM, <deinx nxtxr> <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Sai Emrys wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Sep 14, 2009 at 8:47 PM, <deinx nxtxr> <[log in to unmask]>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> But they don't publish them.
>>
>> Yes they do. There'd not be much point in an inaccessible archive.
>
> The point being to store the data for the search engine to use. They don't
> have to actually display the entire page in a list of results.

For Google, yes. For Archive.org, making cached pages available is the point.

On Tue, Sep 15, 2009 at 1:13 AM, Rick Harrison <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> The article was first published in Bibliotheca
> Sacra, a journal of the Dallas Theological Seminary. (It was republished as
> a stand-alone pamphlet which I own a copy of.) Whether they still hold the
> rights or the rights reverted to the author and so forth is not something I
> want to delve into.

AIUI academic journals do not hold copyright to contributed content:
papers are not work-for-hire. I could be wrong, but it seems like that
would be an odd arrangement.