I'm trying to figure out a way to embed uncertainty about others into
the language. So historically I was thinking the 'subjunctive case'
would have come from a system of noun-verb tense agreement, which
though long-unraveled would still be somewhat preserved when politely
referring to people, because saying to someone 'you are happy' would
be impolite because you are making a claim they might disagree with.
The most polite form would be something like 'your appearance suggests
you might be happy', but this then gets shortened to 'you might be
happy' for ordinary speech.

So to put it more clearly: In the old speech there is a verb meaning
'be happy' and a separate tense marker indicating the subjunctive, and
people tell each other literally "it makes sense you might be happy"
meaning "you look happy". Then, people start just saying 'you might be
happy', the pronoun 'you', the verb 'be happy', and the subjunctive
present particle.

Then I was thinking the particle would attach to both the verb and the
noun, something I'm not sure would really happen, to create a system
of tense agreement between verbs and nouns. Within this system
sentences like "I liked the old ways better" would mark 'ways' as past
but 'like' and 'I' as present.

Then my idea is that nouns lose tense inflection except for
subjunctive, while verbs stop marking subjunctive. This then is the
modern situation, in which 'you look happy' marks 'you' as subjunctive
and 'happy' as present. 'The hypothetical you (the one I hypothesized
upon seeing you) is happy.'

But maybe I don't in fact want "agreement" in the middle language,
since my example allows separate tenses for noun and verb anyway. I
could instead have separate tense and mood particles in the early
language, and one turns to an adverb and then a tense system, the
other into an adjective and then a case system.

:) It seems I've put off messing with my phonology and gone mostly to
jotting down grammatical ideas for the past week, though I still keep
trying to design the alphabet.