--- On Tue, 9/15/09, Craig Daniel <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Also, for those who just can't get [r] right: My dad and
> my
> grandfather both learned their Spanish when living in
> Bolivia, and
> while I don't know if this is universal there (most of the
> Spanish
> speakers I've had contact with are from Mexico or central
> America)
> both of them say /r/ as [z`].

I heard something like [rZ] in NW Argentina--needing to change money, I was directed to what I heard as ['kasa 'ZeZes] ; after many repeats, the exasperated local pointed down the street to "Casa Reyes". (A linguistically aware Argentine told me it's almost the same as Czech r-hacek--he could distinguish it from local [Z] for "ll, y").  It's definitely a regionalism there, and rather amusing to Porteño/"standard" speakers. I never heard odd pronunciations of it in Bolivia AFAI remember (2 weeks visit).

"--Mamá, ¿qué es ba[rZ]o
--Agua con tie[rZ]a."