> From: Craig Daniel <[log in to unmask]>

> On Thu, Sep 24, 2009 at 1:18 PM, Mark J. Reed wrote:
> > On Thu, Sep 24, 2009 at 12:45 PM, Eugene Oh wrote:
> >> It doesn't appear medially, either (q.v. [suha])! :p
> >
> > Ahem:
> >

> OTOH, singable, banger, bringer, flinging...

... which makes me wonder about this notion of "medial" that's used on this list regularly for consonants in the middle of morphemes. Phonologically, at least with regards to English, I was of the impression that the important notions were "initial" and "final," as defined by syllable location. I know there are languages with syllabic consonants (arguably, we have /l=/ and /r=/ in English, such as /raydr=/ as a potential analysis of [rayDr\=], "rider"), and I can imagine languages where #...C...# non-syllabic consonants are treated differently than either #C...# or #...C# consonants, but are there any such cases in English?

In these cases, at least...

A$hem, Ana$heim, Be$hold, etc.
Sing$able, bang$er, bring$er, etc.

That is, in English, [h] only appears syllable-initially and [N] only appears syllable-finally.

-- Paul