A cat-rat farm is a situation in which two things rely on each other for either growth or dissolution; I've also seen this (mistakenly, I feel) called a "catch 22." In this case, I would think most people would only choose to learn it over English if there were enough people speaking Esata, but it won't get enough people speaking it without most people choosing to learn it.

"Cat-rat farm," according to Snopes and Wikipedia, comes from a (fictitious) money-making scheme where neighboring farms were raising cats and rats. The rats were sold to the cat farm to feed the cats; the skinned cats were sold to the rat farm to feed the rats. The output was cat furs.

"Catch 22" comes from the Joseph Heller novel of the same name, and originally referred to a complex situation where the only way to try to prevent A from happening is to give evidence to support A's happening (the original catch 22: Only crazy people would want to fly certain missions. Only sane people would ask to be evaluated for competency to fly those missions. Only sane people can actually fly the missions but only people who ask not to fly will be evaluated: Hence, if you don't ask to be evaluated, you're crazy but the army won't declare you so, and you have to fly; if you do ask to be evaluated, you're sane by that fact alone and you have to fly), but has since come to mean any circular rule or condition set (like the one above about Esata).

-- Paul