> From: Carsten Becker <[log in to unmask]>
> Jim Henry schrieb:
> > With Angosey, I think pointing to your various CONLANG posts about the
> > language months or years before the novel was published would be
> > sufficient to show that you created the language first.
>
> I don't think that'd be valid evidence.
>
> Carsten

I think it would, under my understanding that listserv dates for this particular group aren't hackable, although with the quibble that the issue isn't "who created the language first?" but (if anything) "who published the language first?" -- with datestamped CONLANG posts with language snippets counting as publications (since, from a copyright perspective, they do).

Someone pointing to datestamped files on their own computer as evidence of precedence, in contrast, wouldn't be useful because it's easy to fake a local datestamp (change the system clock before saving it). Ditto datestamped files from any third-party server that can have its datestamping hacked (such as LiveJournal or similar blogging sites which allow people to back- and forward-date their posts).

-- Paul