Paul Hartzer wrote:
>> From: Thomas Thurman <[log in to unmask]>
>
>> It's... I don't think I can write IPA here, can I?
>
> I've used IPA here, although CXS (variant of X-SAMPA) is the
> community preference. It came up a few months ago whether there
> are still readers who can't see IPA characters, or whether this
> preference is just habit from the ASCII days, but I don't recall
> if there was any resolution (i.e., anyone who said, "Hey, I can't
> read IPA and I'll raise a big stink if we stop with the CXS!").

For a long time I was running Outlook 2003 which never had any
problems displaying Unicode though I had a lot of problems with it
becoming garbling UTF posts that I sent.  Almost a year ago as part
of my dimicrosoftification profject I switched to Thunderbird and
since have had no problems whatsoever sending or receiving
Unicode/UTF8 text.

I also now have installed some custom keyboards so I tend to favor
sending IPA rather than X-SAMPA, but the IPA keyboard I made still
needs some work so I will sometimes use X-SAMPA out of just plain
laziness.  Regardless I haven't had any problems with IPA nor has
anyone mentioned any problems display the IPA so I'm assuming most
of the active participants here are able to least display it.  I
don't see any problem with them coexisting.