On Sep 23, 2009, at 7◊33 PM, Gary Shannon wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 23, 2009 at 1:04 PM, David Peterson <[log in to unmask]>
> wrote:
>> A visitor to my site pointed  me to the following link:
>>
>> http://www.voices.com/articles/languages-accents-and-dialects/international-phonetic-alphabet.html
>
> Thanks for that link. I've decided to finally try to learn a little
> something about phonology, so I checked it out. The problem is, a
> couple of the sounds make no sense at all to me.

Holy smoke!  This site is even better!

http://www.shef.ac.uk/ipa/symbols.php

See, the idea is if you know how the phonetic sounds are pronounced,
you don't have to rely on American English comparisons to figure
them out.  Instead, you can read something that says, "American
English blah-blah is pronounced blech", and you can say, "No,
that's not right.  It's pronounced this way."

Credit goes to Andrej Šuc on finding this one.  Great resource!

-David

-Jim Morrison

http://dedalvs.com/

LCS Member Since 2007