Mark J. Reed wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 24, 2009 at 12:02 PM, <deinx nxtxr> <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>> YAEPT:  Yes and some of us actually do pronounce the /l/ in those word even
>> if we don't in "talk" or "walk".  IML [-ɑlm].
>
> I'd be surprised if you really had an [l] there; seems more likely to
> be an [ɫ], which is what I have.   Although I also pronounce the L's
> in "talk" and "walk", so there are clearly differences in our 'lects.

Yes, the /l/ will have a varying degree of darkening depending on my
mode of speech, and could even reach the point of being inaudible.

The darkening of final /l/ in languages like English or Portuguese,
and historically in French or Dutch, is one reason I tend to shy
away it in auxlangs like SASXSEK though I let a few of them slide
through ("bal").