On Thu, 24 Sep 2009 11:54:20 -0400, Basilius <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>On Thu, 24 Sep 2009 14:37:24 +0200, Njenfalgar wrote:
>
>>I have this language (as yet unnamed), where I decided the following
>>sound-change would happen: if two consecutive consonants (i.e.: with one
>>vowel in between) have the same POA, then one will change. It would not be
>>the POA that changes, but I was intending to do something else, like
>>lenition or the like.
>
>(1) The idea is good and interesting to explore :)
>
>For example, the well-known restrictions on root consonant combinatorics in
>Semitic langs are, in all probability, produced by some changes of that type.

Well, except that the change in question doesn't change the fact of having
two consecutive consonants at the same place of articulation.  It would lead
to funny cooccurrence relations, something like *C-V-(strong C at the same
position), where "strong" means 'not the product of any of the possible
lenitions'.

Overall it's a strange change; I'd be fairly surprised if there was natlang
precedent.

Alex