Road Rage Trial in LA
It appears that a road rage assault on two riders is proceeding apace.

http://www.velonews.com/article/99513/-i-want-to-teach-them-a-lesson---road-rage-trial-resumes

Some excerpts:

Dr. Christopher Thomas Thompson is on trial in Los Angeles Superior Court for assault and other charges related to an incident on a narrow canyon road involving two cyclists on the Fourth of July, 2008. Thompson also faces charges related to a similar, earlier, incident on the same road, involving a different cyclist. If convicted of all charges, Thompson could spend up to five years in prison.

Prosecutors say that after a brief exchange of words on the Fourth, Thompson passed the two cyclists then slammed on his brakes, causing the riders to crash into the rear his car.

On Tuesday, the jury heard testimony from a Los Angeles police traffic investigator, a doctor who treated the cyclists at the scene and a plastic surgeon who operated on one of the cyclists' broken nose. The testimony was graphic enough that one juror had to leave the court room for a few minutes after feeling faint. Jurors also heard from the cyclist who says he had the earlier encounter with Thompson.

LAPD traffic investigator Robert Rodriguez said he arrived at the scene on Mandeville Canyon Road with the fire department and asked Thompson what happened.

According to Rodriguez, Thompson said, "I just live up the road. I was driving to go to work. The bikers were in front of me, three across. I honked my horn and yelled 'ride single file.' The bicyclists flipped me off and yelled back. I passed them up and stopped in front to teach them a lesson. I'm tired of them. I've lived here for years and they always ride like this."

Later, Deputy District Attorney Mary Stone asked Rodriguez in re-direct examination how he was able to remember.

Rodriguez replied, "That statement was so shocking his words burned into my brain."
Stone asked, "Have you ever been to a collision where someone said they wanted to teach that person a lesson?"

"Never," said Rodriguez.

Rodriguez said that after Thompson's comments, he decided the incident was assault with a deadly weapon and called the department's patrol division to take over the investigation.

I'm waiting for Bob Mionske to give his take (http://bicycling.com/blogs/roadrights/)

Mike

Bike to Brown discussion list: http://listserv.brown.edu/archives/bike-to-brown.html

Bike to Brown website: http://biketobrown.brown.edu/