Risto Kupsala skrev:
> Kjell Rehnström wrote:
>
>> Finnish and Hungarian have them, ystäväni, baratom, my friend.
>>

> It's the possessive suffix. But in spoken Finnish they have practically
> disappeared and been replaced by possessive pronouns: "mun ystävä".
>
> In Finnish possession is not told as often as in English. For example the
> English would say "I brush *my* teeth and comb *my* hair every morning"
> but we would say "I brush teeth and comb hair every morning". The
> assumption is that if I had brushed somebody else's teeth then I would
> have mentioned it.

Thanks Risto for this explanation. I have always wondered about the
usage as to posessive suffixes.

I think Finnish has the same usage as Swedish there. Perhaps a kind of
Sprachbund. In Swedish I would say that I brush the teeth and I wave the
hand and shake the head!

Perhaps this will be the usage in a future Continental English! :-)

Kjell R