--- On Thu, 10/15/09, Roger Mills <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> From: Roger Mills <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Re: Unicode 5.2 goodies for Win and other stuff
> To: [log in to unmask]
> Date: Thursday, October 15, 2009, 6:28 PM
> --- On Thu, 10/15/09, Lee <[log in to unmask]>
> wrote:
>
> > And if you haven't had your fill of Tower of Babel
> images,
> > he's got quite a collection! <http://babelstone.blogspot.com/2007/01/72-views-of-tower-of-babel.html>
> >
> Very interesting. of the 3 pages of images, I was struck by
> (a) the relative variety and originality of the first
> (medieval) and 3d (modern), but (b) surprised that most of
> the Renaissance > later artists on the 2nd page seemed to
> be copying Brueghel (sp.?)-- all sorta pyramidal structures.
>

> What's with the waterfalls cascading out of some of them?
> That's not in the Bible !!!!

Since when has religious art concerned itself overly with what is or isn't actually in the Bible?  Fat little baby cherubs?  Halos?  Blond-haired blue-eyed Jesuses?  God with flowing white beard?  Mary standing in church next to a cross at the Annunciation?  Jesus' birth during a snow storm?  Art has quite a tradition of doing its own thing when representing events from Scripture.

Adam