On Sun, Oct 18, 2009 at 10:42 PM, Eric Christopherson <[log in to unmask]>wrote:

> In a language where verbs and nouns are not formally distinguished
> (syntactically or morphologically), what would one call this class of word?
> I'm tempted to call it a predicate, and I think I may have read something
> calling it that, but to me a transitive predicate includes the object as
> well.

I refer to them as "lexicals"; they contrast with "functionals" (the little
words that connect lexicals into statements about the world). A "lexeme"
would be the morpheme that is at the core of a lexical. For example, the
lexeme "suluk" in Qakwan is the core of the lexicals "sulukau" (to dream
about) and "sulukei" (the dream).

--larry