--- On Wed, 10/21/09, Dirk Elzinga <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> In that case, the simplest statement
> of the generalization would seem to be:
> "a stressed syllable with a voiced onset is low toned;
> stressed syllables
> are high-toned otherwise" and there is no need for any kind
> of
> "respectively" construction.

True enough, but since when does academic prose have to be clear?  :-)))

Now that someone has cited German "bzw.", I'm reasonably sure that that's where I picked up the usage (and perhaps Dutch writers calquing it with their equivalent or "resp.")

> I don't know a lot about tones, but from what I do know
> this seems to be a
> natural association of voicing and tone.

Yes; Rule #1 is sort-of: voiced initials lead to low tone, voiceless to high tone.

Of course, a vd. resp. vl. consonant elsewhere in the word (~proto-form) will foul things up.....that was what made me brain hurt when working with my Gwr.