On Wed, Oct 21, 2009 at 2:52 AM, R A Brown <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> ...and the Roman script, as used by the Romans themselves (and many others)
> provides exactly six handy vowel symbols: |a e i o u y|        ;)

Indeed, and this reminds me of one more possible (and I promise from me the
last!) use of <x> that I don't think I have seen mentioned yet: /Z/.  As
seen here:

<f v s z c x h> /f v s z S Z h/
 <m n q r l j w> /m n N r l j w/
<a e i o u y> /a e i o u @/

Affricates can be covered by the expected digraphs.  This system works
efficiently enough for the 6-vowel variants of the vaguely euroclonish
phonologies being considered.

On Wed, Oct 21, 2009 at 3:00 PM, R A Brown <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> This thread began with, as we see in parenthesis, the recycling of |x} in
> some conlangs to represent a vowel. Since then we've commented on other
> letters, normally used as consonants, recycled as vowels and, perhaps more
> often, consonant-letters recycled to represent other consonant sounds (I
> don't think we've found vowels recycled to represent consonants - i don't,
> of course, count vowels used as semi-vowels).
>
> But I don't recall any mention so far of recycling letters to denote
> suprasegmental features, e.g. tone.
>
> In the Hmong Romanized Popular Alphabet (which BTW has |w| as a mid high
> unrounded _vowel_ ), tone is shown by final letters:
> -b high tone
> -j high falling tone
> -v mid ricing tone
> -g mid low tone
> -s low tone
> -m low falling tone
>
> A syllable not marked by one of these finals is mid tone.
>
> While some are using letters which would not otherwise be used (e.g. b, j),
> some do occur in initial position with fairly 'normal' sounds. But as no
> Hmong syllable may end in a consonant, these letters can be recycled as
> finals to denote tone.
>
> I feel sure some conlangs must similarly have used/do use letters to denote
> tone.

If it works for them, then power to them, but to be honest _that_ makes me
want to cover my eyes!