Adam Walker wrote:
> --- On Thu, 10/15/09, taliesin the storyteller
> <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
>> From: taliesin the storyteller <[log in to unmask]>
> I wrote:
>>> Right now I'm just affraid that my front page is gonna go kerfutz
>>> on the 26th since it was generated using one of Yahoo!'s tools
>>> and includes a bajillion gifs stored at Geocities.

>> Use a tool like wget (are probably some for windows too and wget
>> might already be on the dreamhost-account) to download/fetch that
>> page+all the images. The urls can be rewritten automatically by
>> wget itself.
>
> Whunh?  How can it download ... ?  No what?  I'm confused.  You're
> saying that it can go find where Geocities has stored this or that
> particular gif and copy each of those gifs to my folders so I then
> have a copy?

Yes.

> I'd still have to re-write all the code pointing to the
> gifs at www.geocities.com/blahblahblah though, right?  Or are you
> saying it re-does all of that too?

Yes.

> That's just a bit scary.  Then
> I'd just have to re-edit the text I've already changed since the
> move, and re-delete Yahoo!'s advertising code.  Or have I really
> misunderstood you?

No. :)

wget is a command-line tool though, this is how I do backups of my site:

wget -p -m -k http://taliesin.nvg.org/

-m = makes a mirror of my publicly visible website (10 megs): it used
1.2 seconds
-k = rewrites links/strips out the http::/whatever/-part and just leaves
relative links: this took 0.09 seconds
-p = also fetches all images, css etc.

You might use -K (big K) in addition, to keep a backup of the original
files in addition to the rewritten ones.

BUT: it does this by following links, so anything that doesn't have a
link pointing to it won't be copied. Anything that's hidden behind a
password won't get copied etc. Wget sees the same things googlebot does,
but no more.

t.