On Oct 20, 2009, at 2:22 AM, Njenfalgar wrote:
> I have used little tone so far. When I had only just discovered the
> existence of something like "tone", I have done some experimenting
> which
> surely nobody is interested in. Since knowing better, I have made one
> language with tone that I am pretty proud of. It is as yet unnamed,
> but it
> goes like this: each stressed syllable gets high or low tone
> (unstressed
> syllables remain neutral) depending on whether the consonant before is
> voiceless resp. voiced.

Sorry to nitpick, but "respectively" isn't used that way in English (I
assume you to mean "or" or "versus"), and AFAIK when it is used it
isn't abbreviated. I wouldn't comment on it except that it can be very
hard for non-German-speaking people to guess what it means.

See <http://www.languagehat.com/archives/001173.php>.

> Then stress changes place and becomes predictable.
> If the stress ends up on another syllable, the tone becomes the
> opposite
> one. In this way, tone becomes unpredictable. For example: "planet" is
> /noko"non_L/, short for /xisenoko"non_L si"Zon_L/, originally
> /"xi(_H)senokonon "si(_H)Zon/. For Troilgulm I am wondering if I
> would not
> make it into a register language at some point...

I think it is a register tone language -- one where the tones do not
rise, fall, etc. If they did, it would be a contour tone language.

> And for a collected on-line resource, please tell me when you find
> one! :-)

Me too! I'm especially interested in how to derive pitch accent. (E.g.
can it come from a full-on tonal system? Can it come from a stress-
accented system? On that point, Ancient Greek and Vedic Sanskrit had
pitch accent, and the strong correlation in PIE between accented
syllables and full-grade vowels suggests that it had a stress accent
at some fairly recent point.)