R A Brown wrote:

>> I know about <w>'s origins but Welsh is unique.  It's not really anglo
>> centric. Most of the languages that use it, assign it to either [w],
>> [v] or something close to those.
>
> But you wrote that Deini's use of a symbol that Deini's use of <x>,
> which in all natlang orthographies denotes either a single consonant or
> a consonant compound, to denote a vowel was no worse than the Welsh use
> of <w> as a vowel.

You seem to have those mixed up.  SASXSEK uses <x> only in compounds
where it's /ə/ (vowels are /a e i o u ə/).   What I was mentioning
that most languages use <w> as a consonant so it is a bit strange to
look at Welsh text and see it used as a vowel.  Many languages have
something in their orthography that stands out as a bit odd.  Polish
spellings, though fairly regular seem a bit strange from the
outside.  To some extent this isn't really a bas thing because it
gives the language a bit of character, making it easy to identify.

Deini is a different story because it actually has its own script.
Both <x> and <y> are used in Romanizations because it has seven
vowels and as mentioned I was avoiding diacritics.

> I really do not see how the modern Welsh use is comparable to the use of
> <x> = [ə] in certain conlangs.

Again, it's the expectation of most that <w> is a consonant.  Its
history isn't relevant.  Modern usage is what it is and that's what
most people know it to be.  It wasn't about similaries just that
there are some strange orthographies out there.  I just happened to
pick on the Welsh <w> as an example.