On Sun, 18 Oct 2009 16:42:40 -0500, Patrick Dunn wrote:
>> Joseph Allen schrieb:
>>>
>>> Ok, I need some ideas here. I need some help with choosing some
>>> non-english phonetic sounds. Any ideas?

>You could also look at an IPA chart, such as the one at
>http://hctv.humnet.ucla.edu/departments/linguistics/VowelsandConsonants/course/chapter1/chapter1.html
>and select and delete dimensions.  For example, maybe you decide your
>language has no voiced consonants.  Or maybe you want every place of
>articulation with a stop to also have a fricative at the same POA.
>And so on.

I'd also like to add that the IPA main chart isn't the be-all, end-all of
consonants; you can generate a lot more by secondary articulation, and
that's indeed more common than some of the "basic" sounds.

But is your problem in thinking of _any_ non-English sounds, or just in
getting a good selection? If the latter, and if you are going for a purely
personal language, you're really free to do anything to taste; only if you
are trying to craft a naturalistic language will you need to worry about
"having to" include /t k/, etc.

(Engineered languages are probably somewhere in-between: a priori there are
no rules, but the design constraints may turn out to impose some)

A random selection of phonological data from Wikipedia might also help for
inspiration:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chimakuan_languages#Phonology
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cicipu#Phonology
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danish_phonology
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_phonology
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iquito#Phonology
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Innu-aimun#Phonology
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mussau-Emira_language#Phonology
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nambikwara_language#Phonology
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nahuatl#Phonology
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punjabi_language#Phonology
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selayar_language#Phonology
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/She_language#Phonology
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tigre_language#Sounds
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tlingit_language#Phonology

(Or it might be overdosage. Ignore this if you think you first need a grasp
of what all those letters even mean…!)

John Vertical